Tom and Jerry Cocktail
with Cara Frank
This is a holiday drink that my family enjoys over the Holidays. It’s not my favorite, but it’s definitely a crowd pleaser back in Wisconsin.
- 12 eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound butter, room temperature
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Beat egg whites and salt until foamy in a large glass or metal mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
- Beat the egg yolks to soft peaks in a separate bowl.
- Beat the butter and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla to the butter mixture; mix.
- Stir in the nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and the egg whites; beat until well blended. Batter can be frozen or kept in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- Fill a cup of hot water with spiced rum or brandy, and stir in 1 heaping tablespoon of batter.