Homemade Gløgg (Norwegian version of Gluhwein)
with Randi Ranset
- 7.5 dl (1 750 mL bottle) red wine
- 2 teaspoons whole cardamom
- 12 pieces whole cloves
- 4 pieces whole cinnamon
- 2 pieces vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 pieces star anise
- 400 g (2 cups) sugar
- 2 dl (0.8 cups) brandy or other liquor
- 1 dl (0.4 cups) port wine
- 2 dl (0.8 cups) light raisins
- 2 dl (0.8 cups) chopped almonds
- Sliced oranges for each glass (optional)
- Combine wine, spices, and sugar in a saucepan and heat to 70-75 °C (158-167 °F). It should smoke, but not bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and let the mixture simmer for at least 40 minutes allowing the flavors to develop.
- Remove the spice by straining the mixture, and add the brandy and port wine.
- Serve the mulled wine in cups or glasses with almonds and raisins next to it. A slice of orange in each glass gives good freshness.